The last week of July 2018, I visited Syria as a tourist. I wrote an article about visiting Syria as a tourist on my blog. As a result, I received a lot of questions how to travel to Syria as a tourist. I am willing to share with you how I travelled to Syria for the people who are interested.
This article has been updated in November 2018.
This might be you sipping tea or Arabic coffee in the Beit Al Wali hotel in Damascus
Before I share this information with you , I would like to make some things clear:
- You can now ask for a visa and get permission to enter with a travel agency.
- The application to the Ministry of Tourism costs about 200 USD paid by Western Union or by cash at the border (depending on your agency), an approval letter to get the visa on arrival at the border. The visa fee is paid at the border and depends on your nationality (50€ for Belgian citizens if I remember correctly). This price can value from travel agency to travel agency.
- Currently, the only way to enter with an approval letter is via Beirut, through Masnaa border to Damascus and you will need a driver to pick you up with the original approval documents. Some people recently claimed they entered through another border, via Tripoli.
- The application takes at least 40 days so keep this in mind when making plans. Other agencies can fix it in just 2 days for a higher price.
- Do not forget that you’re not allowed to enter Syria if you have have Israeli passport stamps or any other proof that you have been to Israel.
- Last but not least: I do not receive any commission for this, nor did I receive any discount on my tour for doing this. I just paid the tour myself and nobody sponsored me to visit Syria. The Syrian people who helped me to visit Syria are the ones behind this tour agency.
You should definitely visit the Umayyad mosque in Damascus – The fourth holiest place in the world for Muslims
If you take these 6 points I shared in mind and you’re fine with it, you can choose to visit Syria and contact the persons that have helped me to visit Syria. Good luck and feel free to follow me on instagram @unusualtravelblog.
People successfully visited Syria with other agencies. One of the most used agencies that allow you to travel freely in Syria is Travel King. I do not have experience with them but I hear a lot of positive things.
Good luck and safe travels!
Any additional questions will be answered in the comments below.