The easiest way to Star Alliance Gold is definitely to collect miles with Aegean. When you register with Aegean you get a Blue status and 1,000 award and tier miles for free. Award miles on the Miles+Bonus program do not expire as long as you keep your account active.
To earn silver status when you’re blue status you will need to:
- Earn 24,000 tier miles
- Fly Aegean or Olympic Air twice and earn 12,000 tier miles
Important: each segment can be counted. For every flight you get award miles and tier miles added to your account. A round-trip from Athens to Santorini will give you 2 segments.
Note: During registration you receive 1,000 miles for free meaning that you’ll only need to earn 11,000 tier miles. The two Aegean flights will also earn you miles.
Retaining the status
If you already have the status you have 12 months from the start of your silver status to keep your silver by
- Earning 16,000 tier miles
- Flying Aegean or Olympic Air twice and earn 8,000 tier miles
The benefits are a little bit disappointing, but getting silver status is your first step to go for gold. The most important benefits are listed below:
- Earn 10% more award miles with Aegean and Olympic flights
- Free seat allocation for Aegean and Olympic flights
- 2 coupons to upgrade to Business class on Aegean and Olympic flights (if seats available and only when you’re not flying in GoLight booking classes – You have to book in flex)
- Access to all Aegean Lounges
- Create a together account so you can collect award miles with friends or family (important: read the rules before starting this)
- Priority reservations waitlist and airport standby (Star Alliance)
To earn gold status when you’re silver tier you will need to:
- Earn 48,000 tier miles
- Fly Aegean or Olympic Air four times and earn 24,000 tier miles
Retaining the status
If you already have the status you have 12 months from the start of your gold tier to keep your gold by
- Earning 24,000 tier miles
- Flying Aegean or Olympic Air four times and earn 12,000 tier miles
It is therefore much easier to retain a tier than to earn it.
The benefits are much more interesting when you’re gold. You have similar Silver
- Earn 20% more award miles with Aegean and Olympic flights
- 4 coupons to upgrade to Business class on Aegean and Olympic flights (if seats available and only when you’re not flying in GoLight booking classes – You have to book in flex)
- Access to all Aegean Lounges AND Star Alliance Lounges if you’re flying with a Star Alliance airline – You can take another guest with you
- Access to fast lane security control and passport control and priority airport check-in (Gold Track)
- Special baggage allowance: 1 extra piece of baggage, within the maximum allowed weight limit of your ticket’s booking class
- Personalized luggage tag and priority baggage handling
Easiest way to earn Silver and Gold tier
For Europeans it is much easier to earn Aegean tier as you can fly a promo ticket from almost any European city to Athens and back. There you have your two segments with Aegean Airlines and a certain amount of tier miles. You still need to earn something between 8,000 and 9,000 tier miles, depending on your earnings from the Aegean flights. The easiest way to do so is with airlines that give 100% accrual factor.
- Ethiopian Airlines (100% in Economy)
- SAS (100% in Economy, 200% in Premium Economy and Business)
- Singapore Airlines (100% in Economy)
Some airlines will only earn you 25% or 50%. If you’re flying business the accrual factor changes to 150 or 200% most of the times and makes it very easy to gain status!
Note: always look to the booking classes before confirming a ticket and check the booking class on the website Aegean – How to earn whether you earn miles or not.
I’ve started chasing this status since 2017. In April 2018 I managed to get the Gold Status. Read more about it here.